AirTight Networks secure cloud Wi-Fi will power EarthLink’s new WiFi/WIPS solution designed for the multi-unit retail industry. EarthLink announced the upcoming launch of this solution at NRF 2014.
Cloud, analytics, simplicity set AirTight apart
“Consumers are already using their mobile devices in-store to enhance their shopping experience. With EarthLink WiFi, retailers can roll out corporate applications to connect with those consumers and service them more efficiently, while gathering valuable data for marketing and store operations. AirTight’s offering stood apart with its cloud-based management, rich retail analytics and ease of deployment.” — Greg Griffiths, EarthLink Vice President of Retail Solutions
by Devin Akin
This is part 2 of last week’s post The Holy Grail of Retail. In today’s installment, I discuss what it takes to reach it.
There is a set of coordinated technologies required to affect the Holy Grail. A complex set of variables if you will. It’s the responsibility of manufacturers to implement this set of technologies in such a way that they become a simplified, unified structure. This keeps the learning curve short, deployment and operational costs down, and assures a less error-prone implementation. Consider the following parts:
- Wi-Fi infrastructure with cloud management & social media authentication
- CRM system integration
- Mobile devices, operating systems, and applications
- Managed Service Provider (MSP) enablement (for those customers who want someone else to manage it for them)
- Security services, such as WIPS and PCI compliance and reporting
- Location services, which may be integrated with mobile applications
- Infrastructure analytics and reporting, which may be tied into other systems
What’s even more of a challenge is when one or more of these technologies are provided by multiple vendors who have loose (or no) integration.